RE: FW: Postgresql on win32

From: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "'Tom Lane'" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "'pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: FW: Postgresql on win32
Date: 2001-01-22 15:48:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net> writes:
> >> 2) PG_VERSION is no longer defined in version.h[.in], but in
> >> configure.in. Since we don't do configure on native win32, we
> >> need to put it in config.h.win32 :-(
>
> Putting
>
> > ! #define PG_VERSION 7.1
> > ! #define PG_VERSION_STR "7.1 (win32)"
>
> into config.h.win32 is most certainly *not* an acceptable solution.
> We are not going to start maintaining this file's idea of the version
> by hand, now that we've centralized the version info otherwise.
> Find another way.

I definitly did not like that either.. Hmm.

Question: Can I assume that configure.in stays the way it is now? In the way
that if I could just extract the line "VERSION='xyz'" from it, that will
continue to work? It might be possible to do something around that. If not,
then does anybody else have an idea of how to do it since autoconf won't
work?

I thought it *was* already centralised in 7.0, but back then it was in a
header file (version.h), which made it cross-platform... I'm sure there is
some advantage of having it in configure.in, but it does make it a *lot*
harder to support it on Win32, with it's very limited scripting environment
(by default).

//Magnus