RE: [HACKERS] Minor problems reloading dump in 7.0beta1

From: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
To: "'Peter Eisentraut'" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: "'pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: RE: [HACKERS] Minor problems reloading dump in 7.0beta1
Date: 2000-02-24 15:40:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > When upgrading a server from version 6.5.2 to 7.0beta1, we
> hit the following
> > problems when reloading the data from pg_dumpall:
> >
> > - Is it a "known feature" that when using "psql -f
> pgfull.dump" it aborts on
> > the "\connect" lines from pg_dumpall?
>
> No. It will abort if it cannot actually perform the connect,
> however ...
That's expected. But I could connect manually.

> > The dump works fine if I start psql and use \i to load it.
> (I reliase
> > the documentation says use "psql < filename", but I didn't read that
> > far :-)
>
> ... makes this look like a really weird bug. What's the
> connect statement,
> and what's the error message? (It better not abort without one. ;)

First it was:
\connect template1

Noticing it was not like the statements further down in the file, I changed
it to:
\connect template1 postgres

It dies with:
psql: FATAL 1: Database "postgres" does not exist in the system catalog.

Same error message in both cases.

//Magnus