Re: [HACKERS] Re: [BUGS] First experiences with Postgresql 7.0

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Rolf Grossmann <grossman(at)securitas(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: [BUGS] First experiences with Postgresql 7.0
Date: 2000-02-24 15:28:47
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut <e99re41(at)DoCS(dot)UU(dot)SE> writes:
> If you run psql in non-interactive mode the psqlrc file shouldn't be read
> at all. Unless people want that flag, but I don't like that better.

> Perhaps this is a good time to ask when and how any fix to this should be
> applied.

This is arguably a bug fix, so you needn't worry about it being beta
phase. However, there seems to be some doubt about exactly how it
*should* work, so you should hold off until there is consensus.

I take it you are considering "only read psqlrc if stdin is a tty",
rather than providing a switch-selectable choice. I think that might
be too inflexible. The regression tests clearly need to be able to
disregard psqlrc, but ordinary users will very likely want to write
scripts that depend on their psqlrc. (For sure, we will get bug reports
"this works by hand but not in a script" that trace back to psqlrc
settings or lack of 'em.)

Using -f would work if you hadn't already overloaded it with another
meaning; but as you say I don't much want to add line numbers to all
the regress test expected outputs. (That would mean that
adding/deleting lines in a test would create many bogus differences
further down in its output, which would be a pain in the neck for the
initial hand-validation of the changed output.)

So I vote for a switch that suppresses reading psqlrc ...