Re: Per-tablespace autovacuum settings

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Oleksii Kliukin <alexk(at)hintbits(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Per-tablespace autovacuum settings
Date: 2019-02-14 17:20:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Oleksii Kliukin <alexk(at)hintbits(dot)com> writes:
> Is there any interest in making autovacuum parameters available on a
> tablespace level in order to apply those to all vacuumable objects in the
> tablespace?

I understand what you want to accomplish, and it doesn't seem
unreasonable. But I just want to point out that the situation with
vacuuming parameters is on the edge of unintelligible already; adding
another scope might push it over the edge. In particular there's no
principled way to decide whether an autovacuum parameter set at an outer
scope should override a plain-vacuum parameter set at a narrower scope.
And it's really questionable which of database-wide and tablespace-wide
should be seen as a narrower scope in the first place.

I don't know how to make this better, but I wish we'd take a step
back and think about it rather than just accreting more and more
complexity.