Re: crash in plancache with subtransactions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jim Nasby <Jim(at)Nasby(dot)net>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: crash in plancache with subtransactions
Date: 2010-11-01 16:25:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jim Nasby <Jim(at)Nasby(dot)net> writes:
> (looking at original case)... the original bug wasn't actually
> recursive.

No, there are two different cases being dealt with here. If the first
call of an expression results in an error, and then we come back and try
to re-use the expression state tree, we can have trouble because the
state tree contains partially-updated internal state for the called
function. This doesn't require any recursion but it leads to pretty
much the same problems as the recursive case.