Re: [BUGS] problem creating index in 6,5,3

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: kdebisschop(at)range(dot)infoplease(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [BUGS] problem creating index in 6,5,3
Date: 2000-01-06 16:35:44
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-general

Karl DeBisschop <kdebisschop(at)range(dot)infoplease(dot)com> writes:
> Text field max size is 32 characters.

Drat, another good theory down the drain ;-)

I think it's time to start wheeling out the heavy artillery. Do you
know how to use gdb? I think we might be able to get some useful info
this way:

1. Start a postgres process running doing the CREATE INDEX. Use ps to
determine the PID of the backend process.

2. gdb /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postgres (or whereever you keep the
executable). You will need to run this as the postgres user.

3. In gdb:
attach PID-of-backend-process
break exit
break _exit (just belt and suspenders stuff)
cont
(Depending on your system, it might not let you set a breakpoint at
exit, in which case try setting breaks at "proc_exit" and "quickdie".)

4. Wait for backend to fail.

5. If you hit any of the breakpoints, use "bt" to get a backtrace.
Otherwise, gdb should at least tell you what signal caused the program
to terminate ... which will be more info than we have now ...