7.2.3 fixes (was Re: Cause of missing pg_clog files)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: 7.2.3 fixes (was Re: Cause of missing pg_clog files)
Date: 2002-09-30 15:18:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info> writes:
> On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 08:30:38PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> OK, we need a decision on whether we are going to do a 7.2,3 or just
>> have it in beta3. If it is in 7.2.3, I would not mention it in the
>> beta3 release notes.

> If there won't be any 7.2.3,

There will be; I will backport the fixes today, and Marc promised to
roll the tarball tonight.

One thing I am undecided about: I am more than half tempted to put in
the fix that makes us able to cope with mktime's broken-before-1970
behavior in recent glibc versions (e.g., Red Hat 7.3). This seems like
a good idea considering that other Linux distros will surely be updating
glibc soon too. On the other hand, it's hard to call it a critical bug
fix --- it ain't on a par with the vacuum/clog problem, for sure. And
the patch has received only limited testing (basically just whatever
use 7.3beta1 has had). On the third hand, the patch only does something
if mktime() has already failed, so it's hard to see how it could make
life worse even if it's buggy.

Any votes on whether to fix that or leave it alone in 7.2.3? I need
some input in the next few hours ...