Re: default locale considered harmful? (was Re: [GENERAL]

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Andrew Sullivan <andrew(at)libertyrms(dot)info>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: default locale considered harmful? (was Re: [GENERAL]
Date: 2003-05-31 18:25:38
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

> So, my understanding is that you would create something such as:
> CREATE INDEX iix ON tab (LIKE col)
> and that does LIKE lookups and knows how to do col LIKE 'abc%', but it
> can't be used for >= or ORDER BY, but it can be used for equality tests?

Hm. Right at the moment, it wouldn't be used for equality tests unless
you spelled equality as "a ~=~ b". I wonder whether that's necessary
though; couldn't we dispense with that operator and use ordinary
equality as the BTEqual member of these opclasses? Are there any
locales that claim that not-physically-identical strings are equal?