Re: Optimize Arm64 crc32c implementation in Postgresql

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Yuqi Gu <Yuqi(dot)Gu(at)arm(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Optimize Arm64 crc32c implementation in Postgresql
Date: 2018-05-03 15:38:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
> Let me try that again with that stupid typo (crc2) fixed...

I didn't like that too much as-is, because it was capable of calling
elog(ERROR) without having reset the SIGILL trap first. That's just
trouble waiting to happen, so I rearranged to avoid it.

I also noticed that we'd been sloppy about making the file safe to
compile for both frontend and backend, so I cleaned that up.

Also, I had thought that maybe the postmaster should do something to
ensure that it sets up the function pointer, so that child processes
inherit the correct pointer via fork() and don't need to repeat the
test (and then possibly spam the postmaster log). On closer inspection,
no new code is needed because ReadControlFile runs a CRC check, but
I felt it was worth documenting that.