Re: do not obtain all columns from DBD::Pg

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bram Kuijper <a(dot)l(dot)w(dot)kuijper(at)rug(dot)nl>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: do not obtain all columns from DBD::Pg
Date: 2006-12-12 01:07:27
Lists: pgsql-novice

Bram Kuijper <a(dot)l(dot)w(dot)kuijper(at)rug(dot)nl> writes:
> If I select all columns from a pgsql-table from a Perl-Script (by using
> DBD::pg by doing something like:
> then I don't get the complete set of columns compared to when I execute
> the SQL directly in PostgreSQL. Especially I miss 2 column names in
> Perl, which have types 'timestamp without time zone' and 'character
> varying(255)', which are shown without problem when using the psql client.

> Sounds like some DBD-related issue in displaying all supported column
> values, but on the DBD::pg site on CPAN, both datatypes are supported.

I doubt it: the data you selected from information_schema.columns is
quite independent of the column types, so even if there were such a
problem in DBD::pg it could hardly manifest in this way.

What I'm wondering about is if you are connecting to the same database
in both the DBD::pg test program and the manual psql try. Another
possibility is multiple tables of the same name in different schemas,
perhaps compounded by different ownerships --- I think the
information_schema hides info about tables you don't have any access
privileges for. Is the test program connecting as the same database
user you were using manually?