Re: unexpected EOF on client connection errors

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Charley L(dot) Tiggs" <ctiggs(at)xpressdocs(dot)com>
Cc: Postgres Novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: unexpected EOF on client connection errors
Date: 2005-10-10 15:56:53
Lists: pgsql-novice

"Charley L. Tiggs" <ctiggs(at)xpressdocs(dot)com> writes:
> I have a web solution that works extremely well. Yet, the following
> error appears in the logs a lot. At least one entry every 5 minutes,
> quite a few more when the site is busy.

> webuser - xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx(59420) 2005-10-10 11:00:29 EDT> LOG:
> 08P01: unexpected EOF on client connection

There used to be some client libraries that would just drop the
connection when they were done, instead of sending a polite Terminate
message first; which would lead to the above bleat by the backend.
I don't think that's done anymore by any current versions, but if
you've got one or two applications bound to old libraries then that
could account for it.

The other possibility that comes to mind is connections being lost
due to network issues (eg, firewall timeouts); but if that were the
problem then I'd expect you'd be seeing client-side complaints too.
If you aren't, it's probably just an impolite client library.
Which is not very important, but if you want to get rid of the
log messages...

> Can anyone give me an idea of where to begin looking for the
> cause of this error?

It might help to turn on log_connections and see if you can correlate
the connections that get "unexpected EOF" with a particular client
app.