Re: Auto-partitioning in PostgreSQL 10

From: Mark Dilger <hornschnorter(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: zafiirah jumeen <zafiirahjumeen(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Auto-partitioning in PostgreSQL 10
Date: 2018-06-25 13:14:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Jun 25, 2018, at 3:00 AM, zafiirah jumeen <zafiirahjumeen(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> I was trying to do auto partitioning in PostgreSQL 10.
> First of all, I created 2 tables t_dossier_bac_history_insert_table and t_dossier_bac_history_sensor_collections.
> And then, I created a trigger which would execute a function (which would create my partitions) before inputting data in t_dossier_bac_history_insert_table.
> But, I am having an error which is as follows when I try to insert data from an existing table to t_dossier_bac_history_insert_table:
>
> ERROR: query string argument of EXECUTE is null CONTEXT: PL/pgSQL function sensor_partition() line 27 at EXECUTE SQL state: 22004
>
> Could you please help me in resolving this issue.

The variable 'new_insert' will be null when any of the new columns
are null, because concatenation of null with anything else renders
a null result. You could look at the documentation for the function
named COALESCE() and see how to use that to prevent the 'new_insert'
variable from becoming null.

There may be broader problems in the general design of your solution,
too.

I think you should post questions of this sort to pgsql-general
rather than here.

mark