Re: missing toast table for pg_policy

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: missing toast table for pg_policy
Date: 2018-02-16 22:24:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 02/16/2018 05:07 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
>> On 2018-02-16 16:56:15 -0500, Joe Conway wrote:
>>> Looking at the issue, the problem seems to be missing toast table for
>>> pg_policy. Also attached is a one line patch. It isn't clear to me
>>> whether this is a candidate for backpatching.

>> Don't think it is - it'd not take effect on already initdb'ed clusters.

> Yep, knew that, but...

>> If problematic for < master users I think you'll have to restart cluster
>> with allow_system_table_mods, manually create/drop toasted column. IIRC
>> that should add a toast table even after dropping.

> I wasn't sure if we would want to backpatch and put the manual procedure
> steps into the release notes.

The example you give seems like pretty bad practice to me. I don't think
we should back-patch unless it's possible to trigger the problem with a
more realistic policy expression.

(Also, one can always work around it by putting the complicated condition
into a function, which would likely be a better idea anyway from a
maintenance standpoint.)