Re: Re: Clarifying "server starting" messaging in pg_ctl start without --wait

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Ryan Murphy <ryanfmurphy(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Beena Emerson <memissemerson(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: Clarifying "server starting" messaging in pg_ctl start without --wait
Date: 2017-01-19 01:38:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Ryan Murphy <ryanfmurphy(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> So I ran "make -i installcheck-world" and it ran to completion. This is on
> a freshly "git pull"ed postgres source tree. Certain tests failed, but
> most succeeded.

Those results look pretty broken :-(

> There was no "overall" indication of success or failure at
> the very end, so I'm not sure what this means.

You told make to ignore errors (with "-i"), so it didn't notice that
anything was wrong.

The on-screen output isn't all that helpful for diagnosing what went
wrong. You might learn more by looking at the regression.diffs files.
Remember that errors tend to cascade, so the first one(s) in any
particular test suite are the most important --- the rest might just
be fallout.