Re: CREATE TABLE, load and freezing

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Pavan Deolasee" <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "PostgreSQL-development Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: CREATE TABLE, load and freezing
Date: 2008-02-29 03:45:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Pavan Deolasee" <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> In a typical scenario, user might create a table and load data in the
> table as part of a single transaction (e.g pg_restore). In this case,
> it would help if we create the tuples in the *frozen* state to avoid
> any wrap-around related issues with the table.

We've heard that idea before, and it's just as bad as it was when
proposed before. "Pre-frozen" tuples eliminate any possibility of
tracking when a tuple was inserted; which is extremely important to know
when you are trying to do forensic analysis of a broken table. The
point of the current design is to not throw away information about tuple
insertion time until the tuple is old enough that the info is (probably)
not interesting anymore.