Re: ARC patent

From: "Calvin Sun" <csun(at)pervasive(dot)com>
To: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, "John Hansen" <john(at)geeknet(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: "Zeugswetter Andreas DAZ SD" <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>, "Jan Wieck" <JanWieck(at)yahoo(dot)com>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Neil Conway" <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ARC patent
Date: 2005-01-17 22:50:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Nov 2002 is the date of filing the patent application, while May 2004 is the publish date. For regular patent application, the USPTO will treat that application with secrecy for the first 18 months of the examining process. About 18 months after the application, the USPTO will publish the patent application.

For most companies with deep pocket, they never publish new papers/ideas without filing a regular or provisional patent application first.