Re: POC: converting Lists into arrays

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Jesper Pedersen <jesper(dot)pedersen(at)redhat(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: POC: converting Lists into arrays
Date: 2019-07-16 23:06:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
> * Look at places using lcons/list_delete_first to maintain FIFO lists.
> The patch makes these O(N^2) for long lists. If we can reverse the list
> order and use lappend/list_truncate instead, it'd be better. Possibly in
> some places the list ordering is critical enough to make this impractical,
> but I suspect it's an easy win in most.

Attached are two patches that touch all the places where it seemed like
an easy win to stop using lcons and/or list_delete_first.

0001 adds list_delete_last() as a mirror image to list_delete_first(),
and changes all the places where it seemed 100% safe to do so (ie,
there's no behavioral change because the list order is demonstrably
immaterial).

0002 changes some additional places where it's maybe a bit less safe,
ie there's a potential for user-visible behavioral change because
processing will occur in a different order. In particular, the proposed
change in execExpr.c causes aggregates and window functions that are in
the same plan node to be executed in a different order than before ---
but it seems to me that this order is saner. (Note the change in the
expected regression results, in a test that's intentionally sensitive to
the execution order.) And anyway when did we guarantee anything about
that?

I refrained from changing lcons to lappend in get_relation_info, because
that demonstrably causes the planner to change its choices when two
indexes look equally attractive, and probably people would complain
about that. I think that the other changes proposed in 0002 are pretty
harmless --- for example, in get_tables_to_cluster the order depends
initially on the results of a seqscan of pg_index, so anybody who's
expecting stability is in for rude surprises anyhow. Also, the proposed
changes in plancat.c, parse_agg.c, selfuncs.c almost certainly have no
user-visible effect, but maybe there could be changes at the
roundoff-error level due to processing estimates in a different order?

There are a bunch of places that are using list_delete_first to remove
the next-to-process entry from a List used as a queue. In principle,
we could invert the order of those queues and then use list_delete_last,
but I thought this would probably be too confusing: it's natural to
think of the front of the list as being the head of the queue. I doubt
that any of those queues get long enough for it to be a serious
performance problem to leave them as-is.

(Actually, I doubt that any of these changes will really move the
performance needle in the real world. It's more a case of wanting
the code to present good examples not bad ones.)

Thoughts? Anybody want to object to any of the changes in 0002?

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-safe-lcons-changes.patch text/x-diff 9.9 KB
0002-less-safe-lcons-changes.patch text/x-diff 5.5 KB