Re: No hash join across partitioned tables?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: No hash join across partitioned tables?
Date: 2009-04-17 15:02:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com> writes:
> So the default disable_cost isn't enough to push it to use the hash join
> plan and goes back to nestloop. Since disable_cost hasn't been touched
> since January 2000, perhaps it's time to bump that up to match today's
> hardware and problem sizes?

I think disable_cost was originally set at a time when costs were
integers :-(. Yeah, there's probably no reason not to throw another
zero or two on it.

Is there another issue here besides that one? I think you were hoping
that the hash join would be faster than the alternatives, but the cost
estimate says it's a lot slower. Is that actually the case?