Re: configure option for XLOG_BLCKSZ

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Mark Wong" <markwkm(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: configure option for XLOG_BLCKSZ
Date: 2008-05-02 19:57:28
Lists: pgsql-patches

"Mark Wong" <markwkm(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I saw a that a patch was committed that exposed a configure switch for
> BLCKSZ. I was hoping that I could do that same for XLOG_BLCKSZ. I
> think I got the configure.in, sgml, pg_config_manual.h, and
> pg_config.h.in changes correct.

Applied with minor changes:

* I thought it better to call the switch --with-wal-blocksize than
--with-xlog-blocksize. Although we've not been terribly consistent
about it, there is more user-facing documentation that calls it WAL
than XLOG.

* I added a --with-wal-segsize switch as well.

It's not totally clear what the allowed ranges of the settings should
be. The method of using a shell "case" to verify the setting validity
is kinda klugy, but I couldn't offhand think of a direct test for
"is this a power of 2" at the shell level, so it seems we need to be
restrictive.