Re: Vacuuming leaked temp tables (once again)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Vacuuming leaked temp tables (once again)
Date: 2008-07-12 16:48:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Yeh, I read that and thought something similar. But we're talking about
> temp additions to catalog tables, not all temp tables. If we tried to
> implement spec-compliant temp tables we would need to write to catalog
> tables again, which is what we are trying to avoid!

No, because a spec-compliant temp table is a persistent object and
*should* be reflected in the permanent catalogs. What you meant to say
is that hot-standby sessions would only be able to use our traditional
type of temp tables.

[ thinks for a bit ... ] actually, maybe a hot standby session could be
allowed to use a *pre-existing* spec-compliant temp table. It couldn't
make a new one though.