Re: Fix pg_ctl restart bug

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fix pg_ctl restart bug
Date: 2008-06-26 21:15:36
Lists: pgsql-patches

> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> I've always assumed that I'm supposed to backpatch the bugs I fix in
>> HEAD, however far is reasonable.

> I thought we only backatched major bugs to prevent possible instability
> when fixing minor bugs.

Actually, Bruce, this *is* a minor bug; if it were major we'd have heard
about it from the field.

My take on it is that "pg_ctl restart" must be practically unused.
Given that we now know it's completely broken, the only way that
patching it could make the situation worse would be if the patch
affected some other code path that people actually do use. As
long as you're sure it doesn't do that, I see no downside to an
attempted fix, even if it fails.