Re: "Invalid multibyte character for locale" still there

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: softexpert(at)libertysurf(dot)fr
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: "Invalid multibyte character for locale" still there
Date: 2005-01-31 18:16:49
Lists: pgsql-general

Marian POPESCU <softexpert(at)libertysurf(dot)fr> writes:
> I put up a testcase at
> http://perso.netpratique.fr/softexpert/pgsql/unicodetest.data.gz

After experimenting, the only case in which I could get that failure was
to deliberately force a database encoding incompatible with the locale,
namely initdb with LC_ALL=en_US (which is implicitly Latin1 on FC3) and
then "createdb -E unicode". So I think this is pilot error. You
need to be careful to use a database encoding consistent with the locale
setting. (In 8.0, initdb should usually get this right if you don't
override it.)