Re: psql problem

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Gary Fu <gary(dot)fu(at)sigmaspace(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql problem
Date: 2010-07-28 02:20:25
Lists: pgsql-general

Gary Fu <gary(dot)fu(at)sigmaspace(dot)com> writes:
> Below is an example that I created. It works okay, but when I add any
> character in the comment or in the table definition, it fails (hangs).
> I checked the server process (with ps command), and I can see that
> connection is 'idle'. By the way, the size 1484 may not mean anything,
> since I tried another case (with different comment and table) and the
> problem still happens but the size 1484 is not the break point.

> I think this may be CentOS(64 bits)/ssh related, since I don't have the
> problem with CentOS(32 bits) and we have the same application to install
> the tables with the same command on mandriva.

FWIW, I cannot reproduce this problem using 8.4.latest on Fedora 13 64bit.
So it might indeed be something specific to the openssl version you're
using. I assume you tested that the problem goes away if you use a
non-SSL connection?

The openssl installation I'm testing with is
openssl-1.0.0a-1.fc13.x86_64
I don't know offhand what RHEL/CentOS 5.x are using but it's probably
quite a lot older.