Re: Unified logging system for command-line programs

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Unified logging system for command-line programs
Date: 2018-12-30 19:45:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> I have developed a patch that unifies the various ad hoc logging
> (message printing, error printing) systems used throughout the
> command-line programs.

I've not read the patch in any detail, but +1 for making this more
uniform.

> - Common files (common/, fe_utils/, etc.) can handle logging much more
> simply by just using one API without worrying too much about the context
> of the calling program, requiring callbacks, or having to pass
> "progname" around everywhere.

It seems like a shame that src/common files still need to have
#ifdef FRONTEND variant code to deal with frontend vs. backend
conventions. I wonder how hard it would be to layer some subset of
ereport() functionality on top of what you have here, so as to get
rid of those #ifdef stanzas.