Re: role self-revocation

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Joshua Brindle <joshua(dot)brindle(at)crunchydata(dot)com>, Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: role self-revocation
Date: 2022-03-07 18:58:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I'm not quite following this bit. Where would SET ROLE come into play
> when we're talking about old dump scripts and how the commands in those
> scripts might be interpreted by newer versions of PG..?

No, the concern there is the other way around: what if you take a
script made by newer pg_dump and try to load it into an older server
that doesn't have the GRANTED BY option?

We're accustomed to saying that that doesn't work if you use a
database feature that didn't exist in the old server, but
privilege grants are hardly that. I don't want us to change the
pg_dump output in such a way that the grants can't be restored at all
to an older server, just because of a syntax choice that we could
make backwards-compatibly instead of not-backwards-compatibly.