Re: "could not open relation 1663/16384/16584: No such file or directory" in a specific combination of transactions with temp tables

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "John Smith" <sodgodofall(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: "could not open relation 1663/16384/16584: No such file or directory" in a specific combination of transactions with temp tables
Date: 2008-03-04 20:04:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
> John Smith wrote:
>> [3] I am not certain how widespread they might be, but I think there
>> may be some backward compatibility concerns with the patch you are
>> proposing.

> Well, the current behavior is certainly broken, so an application
> relying on it is in trouble anyway :-(. Even if we came up with a patch
> for 8.4 to relax the limitation, I doubt it would be safe enough to
> backport to stable branches.

As Heikki pointed out later, PG 8.1 correctly enforces the restriction
against preparing a transaction that has dropped a temp table. It's
only 8.2.x and 8.3.0 that (appear to) allow this. So I'm not persuaded
by backwards-compatibility arguments.

I've applied Heikki's new patch, and I think that's as much as we can do
for 8.2 and 8.3. Any improvement in the functionality would be new
development (and not trivial development, either) for 8.4 or later.