Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Preserve intermediate .c files in coverage mode

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Preserve intermediate .c files in coverage mode
Date: 2012-10-30 21:28:03
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

> On Sun, 2012-10-28 at 11:10 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> [ blink... ] I'd vote for making them precious all the time. No such
>> behavioral change was discussed or agreed to,

> This is standard, default make behavior. It only showed up here because
> the coverage processing doesn't list all the files it needs in make
> rules.

Yeah, I know it's "default", but it's not how our make files ever
treated these files before. At the risk of repeating myself: a change
of this sort was not discussed nor agreed to. And I'm not agreeing to
it. I don't care for the idea that the build tree after a regular make
might not include all files that would be in a distribution tarball.

A concrete usage case that this breaks is doing something like
find . -name '*.c' | xargs grep whatever
Up to now I've always been able to assume that that would catch
occurrences of "whatever" coming from *.y and *.l files. No more
though. Maybe the derived *.c files are there, or maybe they're
not --- it'll be really history-dependent.

Please just make them precious.