Re: interpret vacuum verbose output

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Shankar K <shan0075(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: interpret vacuum verbose output
Date: 2003-06-05 13:59:45
Lists: pgsql-admin

Shankar K <shan0075(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> I'm trying to evaluate the frequecy to run vacuum
> analyze on key tables. so if anyone could help me to
> interpret the output of vacuum analyze verbose output
> that would be great.

> INFO: Removed 55448 tuples in 2367 pages.
> CPU 0.04s/0.11u sec elapsed 0.41 sec.
> INFO: Pages 11266: Changed 4, Empty 0; Tup 231: Vac
> 55448, Keep 0, UnUsed 205434.

This says that you have 231 live tuples versus 55448 that were removed ---
in other words, less than one-half of one percent of your table was
current data. You need to vacuum this table a LOT more often than
you are doing.

You will need a VACUUM FULL and a REINDEX to get the table and index
physical sizes down to something reasonable, after which a more rigorous
schedule of plain vacuums ought to keep things in shape.