Re: tcpip_socket vs -i

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Robert Treat" <robertt(at)auctionsolutions(dot)com>
Cc: "Pgsql-General(at)Postgresql(dot) Org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: tcpip_socket vs -i
Date: 2002-02-25 15:31:36
Lists: pgsql-general

"Robert Treat" <robertt(at)auctionsolutions(dot)com> writes:
> I did get it working without the
> "-i" but it seems you cannot do this "on the fly" via pg_ctl reload, that
> you have to at least do a restart (either via pg_ctl or stop/start of
> postmaster) to get this going.

Oh, I misunderstood your complaint then. That's correct, socket setup
happens only at postmaster start --- you can't change the port number
on-the-fly either ;-). I believe this is documented accurately in the
Admin Guide; note the comments that say that various parameters can be
set only at server start.