Re: Extracting cross-version-upgrade knowledge from buildfarm client

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Extracting cross-version-upgrade knowledge from buildfarm client
Date: 2023-01-16 21:48:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

OK, here's a v4:

* It works with 002_pg_upgrade.pl now. The only substantive change
I had to make for that was to define the $old_version arguments as
being always PostgreSQL::Version objects not strings, because
otherwise I got complaints like

Argument "HEAD" isn't numeric in numeric comparison (<=>) at /home/postgres/pgsql/src/bin/pg_upgrade/../../../src/test/perl/PostgreSQL/Version.pm line 130.

So now TestUpgradeXversion.pm is responsible for performing that
conversion, and also for not doing any conversions on HEAD (which
Andrew wanted anyway).

* I improved pg_upgrade's TESTING directions after figuring out how
to get it to work for contrib modules.

* Incorporated (most of) Andrew's stylistic improvements.

* Simplified TestUpgradeXversion.pm's use of diff, as discussed.

I think we're about ready to go, except for cutting down
AdjustUpgrade.pm to make versions to put in the back branches.

I'm slightly tempted to back-patch 002_pg_upgrade.pl so that there
is an in-tree way to verify back-branch AdjustUpgrade.pm files.
On the other hand, it's hard to believe that testing that in
HEAD won't be sufficient; I doubt the back-branch copies will
need to change much.

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
adjustupgrade-4.patch text/x-diff 23.9 KB
xversion-4.patch text/x-diff 11.3 KB