Re: questions about disk configurations

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: eric soroos <eric-psql(at)soroos(dot)net>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: questions about disk configurations
Date: 2002-12-10 00:08:03
Lists: pgsql-performance

>> I'm going to try this under linux using mount points, but I need to shuffle
> hardware first.

> This is the only way I've done it. I'm not sure what the Mac problem is.

It sounds like OS X fails to optimize repeated lookups of the same
symlink. I haven't tried to do any performance measurement of this
myself, but if true a gripe to Apple would be in order. Most of the
designs I've seen for clean tablespace handling will depend on symlinks
much more than we do today, so a performance penalty for symlinks will
*really* hurt further down the road.