Re: GENERATED columns

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Daniel McGreal <daniel(dot)mcgreal(at)redbite(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: GENERATED columns
Date: 2012-07-19 14:37:55
Lists: pgsql-general

Daniel McGreal <daniel(dot)mcgreal(at)redbite(dot)com> writes:
> In my searching I found several references (in pg-hackers, circa 2007)
> concerning the implementation of the SQL:2003 GENERATED column features.
> This does not seem to have made it into release? Any plans, etc?

AFAIK nobody is working on such a feature currently. If memory serves,
the previous patch was rejected partly because of implementation
problems and partly because we weren't entirely sure what the standard
is asking for with that syntax. It's possible that the new 2011 text
clarifies matters, but I've not gone and looked.