Re: a few thoughts on the schedule

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: a few thoughts on the schedule
Date: 2015-05-13 15:09:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> It's pretty clear that the impending feature freeze proposed by core
> has spurred a lot of activity. This is both good and bad. On the
> good side, we're getting a bunch of stuff done. On the bad side,
> there is inevitably going to be a temptation to rush things in that
> are really not quite fully-baked just yet. If we fail to resist that
> temptation, we WILL pay the consequences.

Yeah. At this point I think it's clear that only a minority of the
remaining commitfest items can get into 9.5; we're going to have to
punt many of them to next time. I'll post some thoughts about specific
patches separately, but let's keep this thread for discussion of the
overall situation.

> I am already concerned about some of the commits that have gone in
> very recently, particularly these:

There is going to need to be a mop-up period, and we ought to be willing
to revert anything we feel wasn't really ready. I don't feel that those
decisions need to be made in a hurry though. I'm envisioning taking about
a month to look more closely at committed patches and see what needs to be
cleaned up or undone altogether.

> - Code review for foreign/custom join pushdown patch - Whacks around
> my earlier commit without agreement or adequate discussion, apparently
> on the theory that Tom always knows best.

As far as that goes, obviously I've got strong opinions on what the FDW
APIs ought to look like, and I'm happy to discuss this issue further ---
but I think that's a topic for the mop-up period, not for this week.

What I think we need to be doing this week is triage. Commit what's
ready, punt what's not. I'll post a separate list about that.