Re: Postgres 7.4 VACUUM FULL multiple AccessExclusiveLocks?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Mike White <mikewhite22(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres 7.4 VACUUM FULL multiple AccessExclusiveLocks?
Date: 2008-01-04 19:18:03
Lists: pgsql-admin

Mike White <mikewhite22(at)yahoo(dot)com> writes:
> I've noticed that the pg_lock table shows two AccessExclusiveLock
> entries that are completely identical. Is this a sign of internal
> deadlock, or is this behavior expected during VACUUM FULL operation?

I think it's just the regular and session versions of the lock. Don't
recall at the moment whether it's easier to tell them apart in newer
releases.

> Also, please don't tell me to upgrade.

You should *definitely* be on 7.4.x where x is considerably greater than
7. This is a painless update and failing to do it borders on negligence.
Read the release notes at
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/static/release.html