Re: pgsql: Add configure infrastructure to detect support for C99's restric

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Add configure infrastructure to detect support for C99's restric
Date: 2017-10-12 15:30:00
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

> I've temporarily silenced that error by moving the stdlib.h include
> before the definition of restrict, but that seems fairly fragile. I
> primarily wanted to see whether there's other problems. At least thrips
> is is now happy.

> I see a number of options to continue:
> - only define restrict on msvc 2013+ - for some reason woodlouse didn't
> complain about this problem, but I'm very doubtful that that's
> actually reliable.
> - rename restrict to pg_restrict. That's annoying because we'd have to
> copy the autoconf test.
> - live with the hack of including stdlib.h early, in pg_config.h.win32.
> - $better_idea

I don't actually see why you need a #define at all --- "restrict" is the
standard spelling of the keyword no?

I really do not like the stdlib.h hack: that amounts to assuming that
only stdlib.h does or ever will contain declspec(restrict). Maybe
you could get away with that if you were applying it only to long-dead
MSVC versions, but doing it "#if (_MSC_VER >= 1500)" is clearly going
to break someday.