Re: raw output from copy

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Ants Aasma <ants(dot)aasma(at)eesti(dot)ee>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pavel Golub <pavel(at)microolap(dot)com>, Daniel Verite <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>, hlinnaka <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: raw output from copy
Date: 2016-04-12 20:48:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I had a idea about additional options of COPY RAW statements. One can be
> CAST function. These CAST functions can be used to any for any format.

Uh, what? CAST() is not about external representations of values, and
overloading it for that purpose doesn't seem like a particularly good
idea: you'd have to figure out what the conversions meant inside SQL as
well as externally. Also, maybe I missed something, but a different
representation of individual data values within a COPY wasn't what we
were after here.