Re: UNION index use help

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Dmitri Bichko" <dbichko(at)aveopharma(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: UNION index use help
Date: 2005-10-06 16:32:17
Lists: pgsql-sql

"Dmitri Bichko" <dbichko(at)aveopharma(dot)com> writes:
> Ok, I'm thoroughly confused.

You didn't say which PG version you are using, but if it's something
reasonably recent then it should be able to push upper qual conditions
down into a UNION. I think you are getting bit by this restriction:

* 3. For subqueries using UNION/UNION ALL/INTERSECT/INTERSECT ALL, we can
* push quals into each component query, but the quals can only reference
* subquery columns that suffer no type coercions in the set operation.
* Otherwise there are possible semantic gotchas.

You're getting burnt because you're unioning a text with a varchar.
Make the column types the same and it'll work better.