Re: functional call named notation clashes with SQL feature

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: functional call named notation clashes with SQL feature
Date: 2010-05-31 22:23:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"David E. Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com> writes:
> On May 31, 2010, at 8:56 AM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>> I don't have strong feelings about the timing - I'd be very surprised if := were to be used in this context for any other purpose, so I don't think we'd be biting ourselves too much by just using that now. But if we do that, we should deprecate use of => as an operator now, and definitely remove its use in hstore either now or in 9.1.

My feeling is that (a) there is no hurry to do anything about an
unreleased draft of the standard, and (b) perhaps Peter could lobby
the committee to change the standard before it does get published.

hstore's use of => is pretty well embedded already; waiting another
release or two before breaking things is not going to make it
significantly more painful.