Re: EINTR error in SunOS

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Qingqing Zhou <zhouqq(at)cs(dot)toronto(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: EINTR error in SunOS
Date: 2005-12-31 19:40:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Qingqing Zhou <zhouqq(at)cs(dot)toronto(dot)edu> writes:
>> I have patched IO routines in backend/storage that POSIX says EINTR is
>> possible except unlink(). Though POSIX says EINTR is not possible, during
>> many regressions, I found it sometimes sets this errno on NFS (I still
>> don't know where is the smoking-gun):

> Well there is a reason intr is not the default for NFS mounts. It's precisely
> because it breaks the traditional unix filesystem interface.

Yeah. We have looked at this before and decided that trying to defend
against it is too invasive and too fragile (how will you ever be sure
you've fixed everyplace, or keep other places from sneaking in later?)

What I'd rather do is document prominently that running a DB over NFS
isn't recommended, and running it over NFS with interrupts allowed is
just not going to work.