Re: Tablespaces

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "scott(dot)marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com>
Cc: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>, "Alex J(dot) Avriette" <alex(at)posixnap(dot)net>, Dennis Bjorklund <db(at)zigo(dot)dhs(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Tablespaces
Date: 2004-02-27 18:24:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-hackers-win32

"scott.marlowe" <scott(dot)marlowe(at)ihs(dot)com> writes:
> On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, Tom Lane wrote:
>> In my mind, one of the main benefits of this work will be that we'll be
>> able to get *rid* of the initlocation stuff. It's a crock.

> OK, that's fine, but I keep thinking that a superuser should have to
> create the tablespace itself, and then tables can be assigned by users
> based on the rights assigned by the dba / superuser.

Yeah, we haven't yet gotten to the issue of permissions, but certainly
creating or deleting a tablespace has to be a superuser-only operation,
if only because you probably have also got some manual filesystem work
to do to set up the associated directory; and that has to be done as
root or postgres.

It might be a good idea to restrict connect/disconnect (if we use those
operations) to superusers as well.