Re: Keepalives win32

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Keepalives win32
Date: 2010-06-28 19:03:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 20:45, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> I vote for #2. It's the least inconsistent --- we don't pay attention
>> to the registry for much of anything else, do we?

> Directly, no? Indirectly, we do. For every other TCP parameter
> (because the registry controls what we'll get as the default when we
> "just use things")

Not if we make the code use the RFC values as the defaults. I'm
envisioning the GUC assign hooks doing something like

#ifdef WIN32
if (newval == 0)
newval = RFC-specified-default;
#endif

so that the main GUC logic can still think that zero means "use the
default". We're just redefining where the default comes from.

This would be a change from previous behavior, but so what?
Implementing any functionality at all here is a change from previous
behavior on Windows. I don't have the slightest problem with saying
"as of 9.0, set these values via postgresql.conf, not the registry".