Why do we need pg_vlock?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Why do we need pg_vlock?
Date: 1999-09-18 19:58:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

It seems to me there's no fundamental reason why there couldn't be
two VACUUMs running concurrently in a database. With the locking
we are doing now, it should be safe enough. So, I'd like to propose
that we get rid of the pg_vlock lock file. It doesn't have any useful
purpose but it does force manual intervention by the dbadmin to recover
if a VACUUM crashes :-(

Comments? Did I miss something about why we can't have more than one
vacuum process?