Re: pg_comments

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_comments
Date: 2010-09-20 05:07:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> In view of the foregoing problems, I'd like to propose adding a new
> system view, tentatively called pg_comments, which lists all of the
> comments for everything in the system in such a way that it's
> reasonably possible to do further filtering out the output in ways
> that you might care about; and which also gives objects the names and
> types in a format that matches what the COMMENT command will accept as
> input. Patch attached.

Unless you propose to break psql's hard-won backwards compatibility,
this isn't going to accomplish anything towards making describe.c
simpler or shorter. Also, it seems to me that what you've mostly done
is to move complexity from describe.c (where the query can be fixed
easily if it's found to be broken) to system_views.sql (where it cannot
be changed without an initdb).

How about improving the query in-place in describe.c instead?