Re: AIX support - alignment issues

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: AIX support - alignment issues
Date: 2022-07-06 03:47:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> OK, here's a new attempt, this time leaving the hppa bits in. The
> main tricksy bit is where s_lock.h is simplified a bit by moving the
> fully inline GCC-only hppa support up a bit (it was handled a bit
> weirdly with some #undef jiggery-pokery before to share stuff between
> aCC and GCC), making the diff a little hard to follow. Does this make
> sense? It might also be possible to drop one of __hppa and __hppa__
> where they are both tested (not clear to me if that is an aCC/GCC
> thing). I have no idea if this'll actually work (or ever worked) on
> NetBSD/hppa... if it comes to it I could try to boot it under
> qemu-system-hppa if that's what it takes, but it may be easy for you
> to test...

Our HEAD does work on that NetBSD installation. I can try this
patch, but it'll take an hour or two to get results ... stay tuned.

I'm not sure about the __hppa vs __hppa__ thing. If we're assuming
that NetBSD is the only remaining hppa platform of interest, then
clearly only one of those is needed, but I don't know which one
should be preferred. It appears that both are defined on NetBSD.

(FWIW, I know that OpenBSD works on this machine too, or did the
last time I tried it. But it probably has the same opinions
as NetBSD about predefined macros.)