Re: confused about transactions and connection pools

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
Cc: David Goodenough <david(dot)goodenough(at)btconnect(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: confused about transactions and connection pools
Date: 2006-10-30 22:25:26
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com> writes:
> For each connection the statements BEGIN, ROLLBACK, and COMMIT are only
> prepared once and after that they are executed again and again. This can
> be very confusing when looking at the logs which only show the preparation
> step, but not execution. So even though you can't see them, they're being
> executed. The 8.2 release will be the first release that can accurately
> log this usage pattern.

BTW, have you verified that it's actually worth the trouble to prepare
these commands? Given that there's no planning cost for a utility
statement, and hardly any parsing cost for one-word commands, I'm a bit
dubious that the prepared-statement machinery actually results in a win
compared to just issuing simple Query messages.