Re: Case Conversion Fix for MB Chars

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Volkan YAZICI <volkan(dot)yazici(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Case Conversion Fix for MB Chars
Date: 2005-11-27 16:29:35
Lists: pgsql-patches pgsql-tr-genel

Volkan YAZICI <volkan(dot)yazici(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On 11/27/05, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> The really fundamental problem is that tolower/toupper don't work
>> on wchar_t.

> Yes, indeed. I agree with you to find a proper solution for character
> set handling. But, IMHO, it's better to have a-patchy working system
> instead of a not working one.

But you just agreed that it doesn't work.

It might be that there are degrees of not-working-ness here, but before
adopting a partial solution I would like to see some reasoning why it
won't make things worse for other people. I think that what you are
proposing could lead to arbitrarily bad behavior (up to and including
server crashes) depending on what libc's toupper/tolower functions are
coded to do with out-of-range inputs. Exactly what cases have you
tried, and on what platforms?