Re: PG vs macOS Mojave

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG vs macOS Mojave
Date: 2018-09-25 23:22:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
> ... and now I'm on macOS 10.14. I removed all traces of MacPorts from
> my PATH and configure line to test this. --with-tcl worked, but
> --with-perl couldn't find "perl.h". Then I realised that it was
> because I was still on Xcode 9, so I was in for another ~5GB of
> upgrading to get to Xcode 10. After that, it all worked fine.

Interesting. IME, updating Xcode first usually gives you a working
system, for some value of "work". Right now I've updated to Xcode
10 but not yet Mojave on my main laptop, and PG works except that
the linker warns about out-of-sync library files during some link
steps. I don't see that on the other machine where I've done both
updates. I don't recall ever having tried the other order, but
evidently it (sometimes?) has some issues.

Maybe we should make the test in configure for whether to prepend
PG_SYSROOT be more specific, ie

- if test -d "$PG_SYSROOT$perl_archlibexp" ; then
+ if test -f "$PG_SYSROOT$perl_archlibexp/CORE/perl.h" ; then
perl_includedir="$PG_SYSROOT$perl_archlibexp"

I think what must've happened to you is that in Xcode 9, the
$PG_SYSROOT$perl_archlibexp directory exists but doesn't contain
the header files. Now, once you'd updated the main system,
neither would $perl_archlibexp, so you're going to fail either
way in that state :-(. But this feels a bit safer somehow.