Re: Autovacuum launcher doesn't notice death of postmaster immediately

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Andrew Hammond" <andrew(dot)george(dot)hammond(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>, "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Autovacuum launcher doesn't notice death of postmaster immediately
Date: 2007-06-07 19:27:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

"Andrew Hammond" <andrew(dot)george(dot)hammond(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Hmmm... it seems to me that points new users towards not using
> autovacuum, which doesn't seem like the best idea. I think it'd be
> better to say that setting the naptime really high is a Bad Idea.

It seems like we should have an upper limit on the GUC variable that's
less than INT_MAX ;-). Would an hour be sane? 10 minutes?

This is independent of the problem at hand, though, which is that we
probably want the launcher to notice postmaster death in less time
than autovacuum_naptime, for reasonable values of same.