Re: todo: Hash index creation

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Naz Gassiep <naz(at)mira(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: todo: Hash index creation
Date: 2007-07-02 02:44:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Naz Gassiep <naz(at)mira(dot)net> writes:
> As a result, when creating tables containing large blocks of text I wish
> to index, I've been using HASH as an index method. Please can we state
> in the manual that HASH index types are in a beta stage of development
> or something similar, or perhaps remove the manual entry altogether
> until HASH is at a point where it is usable in production.

Uh, the manual already does say

Note: Testing has shown PostgreSQL's hash indexes to perform no better
than B-tree indexes, and the index size and build time for hash indexes
is much worse. Furthermore, hash index operations are not presently
WAL-logged, so hash indexes might need to be rebuilt with REINDEX after
a database crash. For these reasons, hash index use is presently
discouraged.

under 11.2 Index Types, as well as various derogatory remarks elsewhere.