Re: Cascaded Column Drop

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca>
Cc: PostgreSQL Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Cascaded Column Drop
Date: 2002-09-27 03:47:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Rod Taylor <rbt(at)rbt(dot)ca> writes:
> When a cascaded column drop is removing the last column, drop the table
> instead. Regression tests via domains.

Is that a good idea, or should we refuse the drop entirely? A table
drop zaps a lot more stuff than a column drop.

What I was actually wondering about after reading Tim's report was
whether we could support zero-column tables, which would eliminate the
need for the special case altogether. I have not looked to see how
extensive are the places that assume tuples have > 0 columns ...